I love to make it in the slow cooker so it's ready to enjoy after a long day.. perfect.
Spicy butternut squash soup
I use a large slow cooker, reduce quantities by half for a smaller version.
- One large, or two small onions, chopped.
- Two large, or three small butternut squashes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- Four tablespoons of cumin seeds
- Four tablespoons of Patak's Madras curry paste
- Three vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
- 1.25 litres cold water (you can use hot to speed up cooking time)
- One lemon
- 500ml creme fraiche (I use low fat)
- Handful of chopped coriander if you have it (I didn't!)
Put everything in the slow cooker apart from the lemon, creme fraiche and coriander and give it a good stir.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high 4-6 hours. Once cooked, mash the butternut squash to make desired consistency - we like it chunky. You can freeze it at this stage too.
Stir through the creme fraiche, lemon and coriander if using.
Serve with naan bread and tuck in. Yum!
I'd love to know if you make this soup or if you have any other slow cooker recipes you love. Please leave a comment.
Linking up with A Mummy Too for this post.